ENTIRE STATE DECLARED DROUGHT ZONE AS CLIMATE CHANGE STRAINS WATER SUPPLIES

This article discusses the severe water problems facing parts of Australia.

The entire Australian state of New South Wales (NSW)—the most populous in the country—is now in drought, according to local officials.

Drier weather than expected has resulted in water shortages, failing crops and a lack of animal fodder, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. The newspaper said 61 percent of the state is in either drought or intense drought, while the remaining 39 percent is drought-affected.

As global climate change produces more extreme and unpredictable weather, water scarcity is a looming threat for many nations. This trend could lead to the intensification of competition between communities, industries and nations for access to clean and stable water supplies.

Comments are closed.